Friday, September 02, 2005

Chemo Update

Hey, I survived my first chemo session! Actually, it was pretty anti-climatic. Dad and I got there at 8 am and were shown around the infusion floor. There are about 50 rooms, each with a bed, comfy looking chair, and a TV. There are also heated cabinets filled with warm blankets, and a couple of food rooms that we can raid for juice, water, cookies and other things.

The chemo itself was pretty much like Marcia said. First they hooked up an IV with a drip which made me cold as the stuff entered my veins, and injected me with one of the drugs to make sure that I wasn't allergic to it. After waiting for me to not be allergic to it for an hour, they started with the other drugs, and just let them drip into me. I was there for 4 hours thursday, but only because it was my first time. I think it should take only 1 or 2 hours from now on.

After all the bad things I've heard about chemo, so far this is a piece of cake. They gave me some anti-nausia drugs that cost $425 for 10 pills, and some anti-anxiousness drugs that they said was basically strong Valium, and would also work really well if I was having trouble sleeping. So far, I haven't felt sick or anything at all, but I guess it will be the second dose in two weeks that will do me in. I think it builds up to be worse the second time. We'll see.