Sunday, May 23, 2004

Sirens

It sounds like there are about 50 fire trucks or ambulances going through town right now. I sure wouldn't want to be in ambulance in Japan. Every time I see an ambulance, it is going so slow, that I hope the injuries of the person inside are not too life threatening. Japan is a much older country, and most of the roads were made before cars, so there isn't enough room for the cars to get out of the way. Usually, the ambulance has to wait for the cars that are blocking its way to wait for the people that are blocking their way to move so they can get out of the way of the ambulance.

The typhoon came early Friday morning with so much raid that it was gushing from holes in the retaining walls around my little valley. I'm really glad those walls are there, because it probably would have been mud instead. The rain was probably heaviest at around 6 when I woke up, but by 7:30 it was just a drizzle, and by noon, the sky was blue and it was pretty hot outside. The calm after the storm.