Friday, February 13, 2004

Camera is mine!


I got my camera in the mail on Tuesday along with some chocolates from Ai (Really good berry cream cheese chocolates). He packaged it very well and upon first glance it appeared really nice like he said. Unfortunately, closer examination revealed that is was not exactly how he described it. (see previous link to the auction page) The lens was not perfect. Far from it. It was quite obvious just looking through the view finder lens that there was quite a bit of gunk and grime in there. But the worst was the taking lens (the one that exposes the film). When I opened the shutter, I immediately noticed splotches and stuff on one of the inner elements of the lens. Not good. This looked like fungus. (And more fungus) I sent the guy an email saying that it was not as described, and he asked me what I wanted to do. I said that I would rather not spend the money to send it back to him since I had paid for shipping once already, so I suggested that he refund all but $15 or so, and I would keep it and see if I can get it cleaned. Teri, my eBay guru, said it'd never work, but it was better. He refunded me $50!

Yesterday I bought a roll of film so I could see how bad the lens is. I've brought my Cannon with me today to use as a light meter so I know what settings to use for correct exposures. I am not confident with guestimating right now but I don't have a regular light meter. Hopefully this will turn out to be a cool $12 camera!

In other news this morning, I hate my history class. I skipped yesterday because I didn't have my bibliography, but the teacher skipped too, so I am going to try turning it in today. It will be a sucky paper. I have never written a good one for that class. History papers suck. unless you are a revisionist or can speak the language, you can't write anything new about Japanese history. Everyone has already written it. That's why I like the paper I am writing about Koreans in Japan. They still exist. People can ask them things. You can't ask old dead people things.