Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I really liked a couple of the shots from the last roll of film, so I picked 3 to have prints made of and went back to the lab. But what I got back was not quite what I expected.

What I did with this roll of film was use 100 asa slide film with my camera set to 50 asa, then have it put through the chemicals used to develop negative film rather than slide film chemicals. The effect is that rather than becoming positive slides, they become negatives with a very high contrast in some areas, with bolder greens and blues and weaker reds. It's technically very simple to do, but it's notoriously hard to find a processor that will do it for you. Most labs will either tell you that it wont work; you wont get usable film back, or that it will ruin their chemicals. From what I know, neither is true.

I was lucky that I found a processor that would develop my film on only the third try. The first two shops first told me that it can't be done. Once they figured out that I knew better than that, they told me that they wouldn't do it because it would ruin their chemicals. The third shop was half portrait studio, half 30 minute processing shop, and since the owner himself is a photographer, I assume that he was intrigued by this process, and he agreed to do it.

Now I have a shop, and I have to keep him happy. The first set he made was mostly too dark. He was just trying to make as good of a print as he could from what would normally be very messed up negatives. So today, I brought the prints back along with my computer to show him what I had in mind for the prints.

Once I get them back, I'll replace this picture with the print version, since that one turned really well. The other two will also hopefully print well, and I'll have something to decorate my wall with.