Thursday, January 20, 2005

Survey Results

Thank you to the people who responded to my survey. Here are the results:

The most expensive total monthly cost was $825, but with company reimbursement, the price was down to $275 per month.
This leaves my mother, with a total cost per person in the top place for highest monthly cost at $283 per car-pooling person.
The least expensive was around $140 per month, including what her mechanic doesn't do for free.

Among the non-car owners, the highest total amount spent for transportation per month is me, at roughly $300, but commuting costs are paid for by my company, so I only spend about $65 per month on transportation out of my own pocket.
This leaves Trench at the top spot, at about $100 a month.
Dansen in Korean, if he uses the train an average of twice a day, would spend about $46 per month.

My commute, at only 10 to 15 miles each way is probably the most expensive for the distance traveled. I pay about $1.90 to $2.30 each way, and sometimes a bus ride at $1.70 to $4.50 each way. If I wasn't being reimbursed for my travel expenses, I would be paying more than someone who's car is payed off or carpoolers with a relatively cheap car that they are still making payments on, but less than someone with an older car that is payed off. Since most companies in Japan pay for their employee's commute, train transportation here is much cheaper than driving a car in the US.


In other news


I have an interview for a teaching job in Tokyo this Saturday. It's the same kind of thing that I'm doing now, but the company has a good reputation among its employees and I think they'll pay better. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I know.